I am a huge believer in having live plants in my house. In fact, I have at least one plant in every room (except bathrooms). I have a huge spider plant in the living room. It loves its home and is thriving in an almost ridiculous way. I usually cut the shoots off because I think they are ugly, and I have no interest in propogating more spider plants, but I left a few alone over the last month or so. I am loving the blooms.
Here are a few other things I have learned about spider plants recently:
- They are one of the best plants to have in your home to improve air quality.
- They need distilled water because flouride is like poison to them. It makes the tips of leaves die. I also noticed since I started giving my spider plants distilled water, they are a more vibrant, dark green color. Before they were more of a silver-gray.
- They send off shoots when they are root-bound. It's not the end of the world. Keep them if you want them, cut them off if you don't.
- They don't like hot afternoon sun.
- They go dormant in the Winter.