Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Blooms

Did you know spider plants bloom?  I didn't, but they are lovely and delicate!
I am a huge believer in having live plants in my house.  In fact, I have at least one plant in every room (except bathrooms).  I have a huge spider plant in the living room.  It loves its home and is thriving in an almost ridiculous way.  I usually cut the shoots off because I think they are ugly, and I have no interest in propogating more spider plants, but I left a few alone over the last month or so.  I am loving the blooms.
Here are a few other things I have learned about spider plants recently:
  • They are one of the best plants to have in your home to improve air quality.
  • They need distilled water because flouride is like poison to them.  It makes the tips of leaves die.  I also noticed since I started giving my spider plants distilled water, they are a more vibrant, dark green color.  Before they were more of a silver-gray.
  • They send off shoots when they are root-bound.  It's not the end of the world.  Keep them if you want them, cut them off if you don't.
  • They don't like hot afternoon sun.
  • They go dormant in the Winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

È