Friday, October 5, 2012

Beautifying for Fall

I have ignored this blog for a very long time.  Why?  Mostly because I am completely sucked in to watching West Wing on Amazon Prime and I have to stream it through my computer, so it is unavailable for anything else.  Lame, perhaps, but that is mostly the reason.  Well, that and the fact that school started and now I spend most of my week being a taxi driver and by the time I am finally home for the day, the last thing I feel like doing is...anything.  I will probably back-date a few posts, though, so go ahead and scroll down if you wish.
And now, for the highlights of this year's Fall decor.  I found this idea on pinterest and LOVE the results.  It is just a bunch of cardstock bats that I cut with a template and then attached to the wall with that gummy wall adhesive. I like them so much, I am considering making more for another wall.
I love festive garlands.  Felt is such a great medium for holiday decor because it is cheap and easy to work with.  It also lasts for more than one season.  I was thinking about how to incorporate some Fall leaves into my living room and I came up with an idea to make a garland of leaves. 
  • I chose a bunch of appropriate colors of felt. 
  • Then I made a template of two different sizes of maple leaves out of cookie cutters traced onto cardstock.
  • Then I cut out equal numbers of large and small leaves.
  • I sewed the large leaves together with a simple stitch about 1/4 of the way down from the stem (through the widest part of the leaf). 
  • I sewed a ribbon loop onto each end.
  • Using fabric glue, I glued the smaller leaf over the large leaf to give the garland depth and to hide the stitch.
I chose to create a random-colored garland.  If you are in need of strict order, I'm sure a pattern would look equally nice.  I just liked the diversity because it reminds me of how leaves change and fall from the trees this time of year.  It is never in a very uniform way.  In fact, we live on a wonderful tree-lined street.  Our particular place is on a long-block (equivalent to three city blocks with no breaks) and every tree is the same except for a single Thundercloud Cherry.  I hate that kind of tree.  Its leaves are this ominous dark purple/black.  Alas, diversity.  I was thinking today how it gives the street character.

 And one last thing related to Fall...I LOVE this candle.  It has a nice, spicy pumpkin smell.  Brought to you by Bath & Body Works.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

È