Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Brown Sugar Breakfast

I'm feeling a bit under the weather today making me crave some sort of comfort-breakfast.  I love hot cereal - particularly oatmeal - and always have.  Usually, I make oatmeal by taking the standard, old-fashioned oats (never quick!) and microwaving them with a 1:2 ratio of oatmeal to water.  Then I top them with brown sugar and milk.  It's got nice texture, it's hearty, it's quick, feels good on a cloudy morning.
I may be late to the game, here, but I just tried steel cut oats for the first time. I bought some in the bulk food aisle awhile ago and finally looked up how to cook them.  Oatmeal is a very nutritious breakfast, so I am happy to get on the bandwagon.  Who doesn't need just a little more fiber in their day anyway?  Everyone who raves about steel cut oats is right: they are absolutely the best!  The texture is amazing and the taste is fantastic too.  The oats almost pop in your mouth like crisped rice.  It is not tough, dry or bland.  I am betting I can get at least my younger son on board with me and love them - he is always happy to practice his spoon-skills.  The older one and his daddy might be harder to convince but I now feel like I must try to convert them!  It takes about a half hour, but if you want to try them out, here's my recipe (I adjusted what I found online to just one serving and this is about right):

Steel Cut Oatmeal
1/2 Tbls butter (or just eyeball a nice pat)
1/3 cup steel cut oats
1 cup water
1/3 cup milk

In a small saucepan, melt butter, add in oats and stir until coated and slightly toasted - about 2 minutes.  Add water and boil gently for about 20 minutes, stirring every 4-5 minutes to loosen oats from the bottom of the pot.  Add milk and gently boil again for about 8 minutes or until most of the milk has been absorbed.  

Serve however you like it.  Today I sprinkled mine with brown sugar and some nice spray whip cream I found in the fridge.  Delightful!  Look at that picture and just try to resist that goodness!

1 comment:

  1. I've seen these raved about so much, but also never bothered. Alex hates instant oatmeal...maybe he'll be able to handle this!

    ReplyDelete

È