Saturday, October 19, 2013

Baking for One

A terrible thing happened to me.  Yes, ME!  My son's pediatrician asked me to lay off the dairy for a week or two to see if that might improve the tiny (well, he's not tiny) one's disposition and penchant for barfing.  Ever since he was born I have been keeping my low blood sugar regulated with copious amounts of cheese and I have the most amazing sweet tooth while breastfeeding.  Did you know that practically all chocolate sold in stores contains some sort of dairy?  Milk fat, milk protein, lactose, butter, etc. It is making my life difficult.  And yes, this is all about me.  On top of this, my husband is attempting to diet, so when I have a sugar craving, I need to keep it to a single portion.
Awhile ago, I found this very handy idea on pinterest: a single-serving chocolate chip cookie recipe.  It can be found HERE.  I have now tested it with both coconut oil and canola oil instead of butter.  I recommend using less coconut oil if you need dairy free - perhaps by as much as half.  It makes for incredibly rich, slightly crunchy cookies.  I actually preferred the canola oil substitute and the ratio remains the same.
I love to experiment with recipes.  I tweak everything to test the limits of a recipe and see if I can make something I like even more.  This time I chanced upon something truly wonderful AND dairy free.  Here is some incredibly rich, fudgy goodness:
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 Tbls canola oil
2 Tbls white sugar
1 egg yolk
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp milk (I used almond)
pinch of salt (kosher)
1 Tbls cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup flour
2 Tbls chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.
In a small bowl, mix oil, sugar, egg, milk and vanilla thoroughly.  Add all dry ingredients and mix until combined.  Add chocolate chips and mix again.
Bake for about 9 minutes.

Note 1: I bake these on a small pampered chef stone - which happens to be the perfect size for exactly three cookies, which is what this makes.
Note 2: These would be great with coconut oil, but cut it by half.
Note 3:  I discovered a brand of chocolate chips that does not have any milk in them: Guillard. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

È