After looking around at short-sleeved shirts this spring and not finding much he would wear, I was wandering Target. I found a bunch of plain T-shirts for $1.78 each. They were not the most awesome colors, but I was pretty sure I could do something with them. I asked my son what he might want on his shirts, thinking I would once again pull out the freezer paper and do some DIY silk screening. He decided on a hedgehog (he has a mild obsession with them), a hippo with a bird on his back (this relates to an ongoing bedtime story his daddy tells), and he wanted a porcupine for the last one. I couldn't quite find a suitable porcupine on a google search that I could turn into a simple profile, so I decided to blow him away with something I knew he would like: a Mythbusters shirt.
I cut out the profiles and he got to choose the paint colors. The whole project took me a couple of hours. Now he has three unique shirts that he loves. I used paint I already had. The whole project cost me less than $6 for three shirts - which is less than the cost of one ugly shirt he wouldn't have been thrilled with anyway. Go me!
Here they are: