Friday, September 7, 2012

Brushing my Teeth

This seems like a pretty boring subject for a blog post, but I'm writing it anyway.
A few years ago, I bought a 5-pack of Colgate toothpaste at Costco.  We used it for-e-ver.  Then, I was at the doctor's office reading a magazine article that made me rethink a lot of things.  This was actually at least a year ago, but I felt like we had to finish all that toothpaste that we had purchased, so I couldn't take immediate action.
The article was about Triclosan.  It is the ingredient in antibacterial soap that makes it antibacterial.  It is also found in some toothpaste.  This article quoted many medical professionals talking about how harmful this chemical is and how it is found in most Americans' bloodstreams.  I had heard other reasons to discontinue using antibacterial soap and had already happily switched to Method (love both their grapefruit and lavender scents).  I had never thought to look on the toothpaste label.  There it was. 
This sent me on a hunt to find toothpaste I could stand to use that didn't contain Triclosan.  Apparently all my favorite kinds of toothpaste use it.  I went through several kinds of toothpaste trying to find one that would work for me.  I have a very sensitive gag reflex so bland toothpaste, gritty toothpaste and extra-bubbly toothpaste is NOT a good idea for me.
Starting on the left:
  • I began with Tom's.  I decided maybe we should go as natural as possible.  I couldn't handle it.  Too much baking soda.
  • Then I tried some more Colgate (some Colgate contains triclosan, some doesn't).  I bought this MaxClean stuff out of curiosity since it said it had more foam.  This was before I knew it was a bad idea.  Let me tell you: it's like this stuff GROWS in your mouth.  It is so awful.
  • So after the first two disappointments, I hearkened back to my childhood.  I remembered that tri-color stripe in Aquafresh and how much I loved them.  I was so surprised when it had zero flavor.  It sent my gag reflex into over-drive.
  • Finally...sigh...I landed on Colgate MaxFresh (only slightly different than MaxClean).  It has just enough bubbles, just enough zing, and I am no longer brushing my teeth in agony.
  • Bonus: If you happen to have a sensitive child (like mine - and after reading the above, I know you are shocked), Tom's for Children is fantastic.  My son is pretty much afraid of mint.  This stuff is kind of citrus-mango.  We are happy to have found it.
Oh, and I don't like Crest, so I didn't even try it.  I think the preference of Colgate vs. Crest is sort of like Coke vs. Pepsi.
And that's all I have to say about toothpaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

È