Sunday, September 11, 2011

Basic Peach Pie

Today seems like a day to do something really American, you know?  So I decided to make a peach pie, since we had been blessed with a bounteous amount and they all ripened at the same time.  I love peach pie.  It is probably my favorite kind of pie, next to pear pie (or chocolate pie) which is the most delicate and delicious pie around (aside from chocolate pie).  I have not had a lot of sucess with peach pie in the past, however.  Usually it ends up too tart and too runny.  I decided this time I was not going to mess it up, I would look for a recipe!  Sadly, most that I looked at required tapioca to thicken the filling and frankly, the very thought of tapioca makes me want to NOT eat pie.  So, once again, I decided to improvise.  I used a combination of cornstarch and flour to thicken the filling and cut the sugar way down from most recipes I saw.  While I don't like a super-tart pie, I really really hate overly-sweet pie.  It turned out fabulously delicious and I think it was also the prettiest pie I've made too.  Here is the recipe for the filling:

Peach Pie Filling
6-7 large peaches, peeled and sliced
The juice of half of a lemon
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 Tbls cornstarch
Cinnamon to taste (I used about a teaspoon)
Half-n-half

Gently combine peaches, lemon and sugar in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, combine flour, cornstarch and cinnamon.
Add flour mixture to peaches and combine until peaches are evenly coated.
Place into pie crust and top with another pie crust.  Pinch edges together so they are sealed well.
Cut a couple of vent-holes in the top of the pie.
Brush top with half-n-half.
Bake for about an hour at 375. 

A couple of tips about baking pies that I have learned through the years:
~~Drop the oven shelf one-step down from the middle.  This helps the bottom crust to bake more thoroughly.
~~If you find that after about 30 minutes into the baking process, the pie crust is still pretty white, turn the heat up the heat by about 25 degrees.
~~Bake that pie for about 5-10 minutes longer than you think you want to if you are like me and feel the need to rush to get it out as soon as it starts to turn golden-colored on the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

È