Monday, June 20, 2011

Baked Salmon

I was at Costco the other day and noticed that salmon season is once again upon us (at least here in Washington).  Fresh wild-caught Sockeye salmon for $8.99 a pound.  How could I pass that up?  Of course, at Costco you have to buy in large quantities, but who minds when the salmon is as red as a tomato?  I bought a 4 pound package.  I do this frequently during the summer months.  I buy a big chunk of salmon and then cut it down to family-serving sizes and freeze it in those smaller portions.  It makes for a great easy dinner that is healthy.  My older son LOVES "orange fish" so it is even something that at least half of the peanut gallery will partake of.
I love salmon, and honestly I am happy with it topped with a little salt and pepper (maybe some lemon) and baked.  I do like to experiment with it, though, and what I threw together tonight turned out great so I thought I'd share - just in case you might want to dress up your salmon a little bit.
Here's what I did:
  • 1 lb. salmon filet - rinse and set on baking stone (or in a baking dish)
  • Sprinkle with garlic salt and a little bit of fresh ground pepper
  • Lay fresh lemon slices evenly over the top (I used one lemon for 1 lb. of fish)
  • Top with one diced roma tomato
  • Sprinkle with about 2 Tbls of capers
  • Drizzle olive oil over the top
  • Bake at 350 until cooked to your liking
  • Oh, and I threw some nuts on top because my son loves nuts with fish.  I would have preferred pine nuts with this preparation, but due to same said son's voracious appetite for expensive nuts, we were out.  Slivered almonds were all I had.  They worked okay, just okay.
And voila!  Delicious, healthy fish for dinner!

1 comment:

È