Friday, August 13, 2010

Berry-cicles

Remember the rocket-pop molds? We've been using them all summer. There have been strawberry pops, strawberry-watermelon pops, kiwi pops (I had a request for green popsicles) and last night I finally attempted striped popsicles. These look pretty cool and have given me the courage to try other interesting ideas - I am particularly curious about freezing chunks of fruit into popsicles (raspberries or strawberries into lemonade sounds particularly delightful).
With these, I was attempting to make some sort of play on the traditional red/white/blue rocket pops, but unfortunately when you puree blueberries, they turn out purple. It was close, I suppose, and since my three-year-old has never seen an old fashioned rocket pop, he has no idea what he's missing (I always liked that whitish-layer).
The middle layer is plain yogurt mixed with some powdered sugar and the top layer is a mixture of fresh strawberries and cherries. My son powered through the strawberry/cherry layer. He was thrown a little off-guard by the "frozen yogurt" layer, stopping to eat more slowly with a slightly puzzled look on his face. Then he loved the blueberry layer so much he was slurping the last of it out of the bottom of holder. The whole thing probably could have been set to some nice piece of classical music. I know, I know, you're thinking "yogurt? really?" I am a bit leery of it myself (as was my husband), but I really wanted to throw in some extra protein/nutrients (and fat) for my skinny little guy. He survived and I'm sure he'll ask for another one.
As far as the mechanics of making these, I was surprised that when I blended the yogurt with the sugar, it lost all firmness and ended up the consistency of milk. Because of this, the blueberry layer sort of bled into it. I would have let each layer freeze separately, but the stick goes all the way through the popsicle, so I didn't think it would work. This is the problem with using popsicle molds to make striped popsicles. It pretty much negates the idea of using juice because the juice would need to be frozen in separate layers or else it would run together. In short, it works better to use purees when making striped popsicles.
In the kitchen, I can be quite a scientist and I always love my little experiments, even though they don't always turn out well. My husband is a patient man, but he does enjoy a good popsicle. Because of his unending patience with all of my healthy rocket-pops this summer, I finally just went and bought him a box of store-bought ones. I'm sure he'll be appreciative. Of course, I'm going to make him try out one of these - yogurt layer and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

È