Monday, June 7, 2010

Blast Off!

(I'm having a lot of fun with these "B" post titles.)
I was grocery shopping on Saturday night at a store I don't visit too often (ironically the closest one to our place). On my way to the check-out line, I saw a set of 6 rocket-pop molds. I've been looking for good popsicle molds for awhile now, so I bought them. I figured a little boy I know (and a husband I know) would think these were pretty cool.
Sunday afternoon I decided to puree a few ripe mangoes with a few very large strawberries and try out the molds. I love making homemade popsicles out of fresh fruit puree because it is so nutritious and it's a great way to get a little bit of extra goodness into a picky eater while tricking him into thinking he's getting a fun treat. The ratio was 6 champagne mangoes to 6 giant strawberries. To digress a bit: we just discovered champagne mangoes. They are smaller and more yellow/orange than the traditional ones you usually see at the grocery store. They have a much better texture, actually more meat than the larger mangoes and are ridiculously sweet. The strawberries become vital to this puree because they cut the sweetness just enough to make it tolerable. Pineapple would be another great addition to this mixture.
I can't wait to make some traditional red/white/blue rocket-pops around the 4th of July. I'm thinking a layer of strawberries, a layer of blueberries and maybe some lemonade for the white. We are going to have a lot of fun with these all summer and I will have to restrain myself from going back and buying the other shapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

È