Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Baked Architecture

I have been stuck at home with sick kids this holiday season, thus bored.  I decided to try out something I have wanted to do for a very long time: make gingerbread houses from scratch.  I created the patterns and made very simple houses for my older two boys.  Then I decided to make my own mid century modern-inspired gingerbread house.  I am a novice with gingerbread structures, so this was just a first attempt.  And my frosting was not cooperative.  I think next time I might go for a butter-based frosting instead of the traditional royal icing, which was thick and difficult to work with.  Also, to prevent a bunch of frustration, I did hot glue the pieces together initially (all in discreet places that would never be noticed).  And here was my MCM gingerbread house in progress and the final product.  I have to say that I was totally pleased with the way the beams fit into the structure - they were actually quite sturdy and support the roof!  Other tips I can offer: pez make excellent bricks, chocolate neccos work well for that slate-walkway style, and gumballs work great for those globe lights.  If only I could have found a way to suspend the globe light from the roof, that would have been truly awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment

È