Sunday, September 30, 2012

Banishing Dairy

A couple years ago, I went through this horrible phase of stomach problems.  In the process, I learned that red meat and dairy are my triggers.  Red meat was fairly easy to eliminate from my life - we didn't eat much of it anyway - but dairy is a lot harder.  I have never tried to completely eliminate dairy, but I have drastically cut back on how much I consume.  Ever since doing both of these things, my body is much happier with me.
I am currently experimenting with almond milk.  In fact, we ran out of regular milk and all we had in the fridge tonight was vanilla sweetened almond milk.  My son really wanted crepes for dinner (sort of an off-and-on Sunday night tradition in our house).  I decided to try dairy-free crepes and I am pleased to report that they were a huge hit.  The texture was even more delicate than with regular milk and they had a subtle nutty flavor that we all enjoyed - particularly my husband.  He was the one who told me this *had* to go on the blog.  So, with the disclaimer that I have never been to France, here you go:

Dairy-Free Crepes (based on the Betty Crocker crepe recipe)
1-1/2 cups flour (throw in half wheat flour if you want to add a healthier twist, but not more than half)
1 Tbls sugar (omit if you are using sweetened almond milk)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups almond milk
2 Tbls canola or vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs (add a third if you like a slightly chewier crepe)

Mix all dry ingredients, then add in wet ingredients.  Stir until very smooth with a whisk (or you can throw everything into a blender).  Let the batter rest for about half an hour.  You can even leave it in the fridge overnight. 
I use this wonderful Italian crepe pan my husband got for me.  You heat it right on a burner then dip the hot pan into the batter, flip it back over and set it back on the stove to set.  You can also make them in a pan, but I confess, I am not great at getting them thin and uniform.
Top/fill with your favorite ingredients.  I like strawberries and bananas with chocolate or raspberries and whip cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

È