Sunday, June 3, 2012

Brownies with Agave Nectar

Keeping with my love of experimentation, I was curious about agave nectar.  I know it's not exactly new at this point, but I have never used it.  I was reading about how it has a lower glycemic index, even though it's sweeter than sugar AND it's all natural - not some sort of freakish ultra-sweet chemical - so I began wondering if it was just the thing for me.
After yet another rough day of potty training (with this kid, it seems like it might go on forever), I decided I needed some brownies.  I didn't have any unsweetened chocolate bars, so I did some searching for recipes with cocoa powder.  I found a pretty decent one and then decided to tweak it with agave and a couple other twists.  The results were pretty darn good.  Here's the recipe (because I'm sure you need another brownie recipe about as bad as I need another chocolate cookie recipe):

Agave Nectar Brownies
1/2 cup cooled browned butter (I am all about the browned butter these days, makes every baked goody taste better)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup agave nectar
1 Tbls vanilla
2 large eggs
a pinch of salt unless you used salted butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup bread flour
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
2. In a mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, agave, vanilla and eggs.
3. Add in dry ingredients until just combined.
4. Blend in mini chocolate chips.
5. Pour into greased 8x8 pan.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Closer to 20 if you like it gooey, closer to or slightly more than 25 if you prefer them more like cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

È