Thursday, August 25, 2011

Birthday Pie

I am not a big cake fan.  I never really have been.  So for the last few years for my birthday, I've tried to mix it up a bit.  Last summer I was on an unfortunate elimination diet and ended up with a peach pie (sad, no chocolate).  This year I decided to make up for lost time by making my own chocolate peanut butter pie - even if it killed me (I have a very sensitive stomach).  Thank goodness for enzyme tablets.
It was absolutely, perfectly decadent and I highly recommend it - just the right balance of chocolate, peanut butter and cream cheese.  In fact, it rivals stuff I've had at the Cheesecake Factory.  It is an Emeril Lagasse recipe, found HERE.  I changed it up a bit, though - because I always do.  Instead of the rich chocolate sauce on top (which sounded like too much to me), I topped it with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings right before I served it.  I also eliminated the graham crackers and sugar from the crust and just made it out of straight crushed oreos and butter. 
Here is the finished product:

Doesn't that look like a much better alternative to cake?
There's also a funny anecdote to go with dessert.  A couple of months ago, our little family was at a church potluck.  Dessert was a whole bunch of pies.  Our 4-yr-old is very suspicious of pies.  When I told him that pie was dessert he said something to the effect of, "Pie is not dessert.  For dessert you can have cookies, ice cream or candy, but pie is not dessert."  He was adamant about this.  And then he ate an entire piece of banana cream pie - scraped the plate clean. 
When he found out that I was making a chocolate pie for my birthday, he said very worried, "Mommy, chocolate does not belong in pie."  He even pouted.  He even refused to help me make it.  I had to *force* him to lick the spatula when I was done.  He then scraped the entire mixing bowl clean.  I am wondering if we will have to discuss the merits of pie again in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment

È