Saturday, January 22, 2011

Blogs...an interesting read

I came across THIS article recently.  It got me thinking a bit about blogging and why *I* do it.
I have another blog, one that I started when my older son was about 6 weeks old, that is a doting, dripping-with-pictures baby blog.  Some comment that I am an incredibly prolific blogger.  I blog about 3 times a week on that site, depending on what is going on from day to day.  I cherish that blog.  It is a record of my little family which I love more than anything else.  Many family members read it almost daily.  It is a way for grandparents in other states to remain up to date on the boys.  I'm not sure I quite fit into the genre of the blogs mentioned in the linked article, but on my other blog, I have written about everything from explosive baby poop (my youngest was famous for it) to mourning the fact that the economy tanked thus forcing me to quit my job.  I had to quit my job simply because there was no work for me to do and the people I worked for were too nice to formally let me go (or rather, I had a skill that was in demand even if they weren't currently using it, and as a part-time employee getting no benefits, I wasn't costing them any money).  Quitting my job was very seriously the hardest thing I have ever had to do.  It felt like I was walking off a cliff.  I've been a dedicated stay-at-home-mom for almost two years now.  I now have two children and they keep me busy enough that most days I don't spend much time thinking about the job I don't have anymore or the life I used to lead.
Sometimes, though, I very much miss adult interaction during my days.  I miss feeling important.  I miss being an expert (I was an early-adopter of a building-information-modeling software - a skill that is still very sought after).  I often wonder if I'll ever be able to rejoin the architecture profession and how does one re-enter a field that is very technical that they've been out of for an increasing number of years?  Sometimes I think about how I might possibly reinvent myself when my kids are in school and I need something to do.  I don't see myself as a future PTA president or the mom who plans parties in her son's classroom.  Maybe I will evolve in the latter, definitely never the former.  Who knows?  The thing I do know is that I like feeling like I am a part of a community.  I like feeling like I add value and can make important contributions.  I have also discovered that I like to write! 
So, I started this blog as a way to post the little things in my day-to-day life that feel like triumphs (even if they involve sparkly hearts and recipes - the general thought of which sometimes makes me shudder since I like to think of myself as at least half-way progressive).  I also wanted to keep appreciating and noticing architecture, now that I am not immersed in the creation of it every day.  I am still working on the focus and direction of this little blog.
If there's anything you would like to see more of (or less of), do please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Danielle,

    Thanks for stopping over at MPMK. I'm so glad you did as it gave me the chance to discover your little piece of the blogosphere.

    So much of what you've written here mirrors my life. I now have two kiddos (2 yrs and 6 mos.) but I was once a professional too. I don't talk about it over on my blog but I have a doctorate in audiology and set up my own practice in partnership with some ENTs in my former life. I also happen to be a Seattleite :).

    I too am finding that blogging fulfills a part of me that has been neglected a bit since having kids. You are a wonderful writer and I enjoyed reading your thoughts. I'll be back soon.

    ReplyDelete

È