Friday, November 26, 2010

Blissful Yams

I'm not a huge fan of yams and sweet potatoes, but knowing how nutritious they are, I force myself to eat them.  I have discovered a couple of ways of preparing them that I absolutely love: making mashed potatoes with a 1:1 ratio of white potato to yams AND the recipe I am going to share with you today.
I made this for Thanksgiving yesterday and it was very easy and tasted fantastic.  I like it because it is a savory yam dish - no marshmallows required. 

Danielle's Baked Yams
2 lbs garnet yams cut into 1" pieces 
(you could also use squash)
1 large fennel bulb coarsely chopped
1 large onion chopped
3 large ribs of celery cliced
1 lb cremini mushrooms, sliced
6 large cloves of garlic roughly diced
1 lb ground Italian sausage, fully cooked and patted to remove excess grease
2 Tbls fresh thyme
Olive oil (at least 4 Tbls)
Salt and pepper to taste
1-2 Tbls red wine vinegar

Thoroughly mix all ingredients in a large bowl, toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Press mixture into large 11x15 baking dish.  Bake at 375 degrees until yams are soft (about 30 minutes).  Drizzle with vinegar upon removal from the oven.

1 comment:

È