Thursday, July 1, 2010

Because I love muffins...

I had no idea when I started this blog that I would have nothing more in my life to discuss than food. Perhaps I will have to work on that a little bit. Enter my desire to read an actual grown-up book that is FICTION and does not involve teaching me how to be a better parent. We'll see how long it takes me to read Daniel Deronda. I am a huge George Eliot fan, so I am hoping to love it. Of course, instead of reading it, I am sitting here blogging about muffins. Alas...
So. Muffins. I enjoy muffins as I have previously stated. Not only do I like a good blueberry muffin, I also like a good almond poppy seed muffin. In fact, I think I like poppy seed muffins more, although they get dry pretty fast and are best eaten warm from the oven.
Here is my own favorite poppy seed muffin recipe. I have tinkered with the flour portion similar to before, as you will see. I like this recipe because it is more versatile than the previous blueberry muffin recipe. You can easily omit the almond extract, add some lemon zest and have lemon poppy seed muffins. You could also omit the almond extract, pump up the vanilla and add chocolate chips instead of poppy seeds. Sometimes I like to make a batch, leave the flavorings for last, separate the batter into two or three bowls and make a few different kinds of muffins at once. If a muffin sounds good, try it out...


Poppy Seed Muffins (Danielle Style)
1/4 c butter (melted)
1/4 c apple sauce
(reduces the guilt-factor a bit)
2 eggs

1 c sugar

1 t vanilla

1 t almond extract (or pump it up if you so choose)

1 c milk (buttermilk is an excellent substitute and adds great flavor, but because it is so thick, I'd recommend only using half buttermilk)

1/2 t salt
3 t baking powder

1/4 t baking soda

1 c white flour

1-1/2 c wheat flour

1/2 c oatmeal (or you can make it a mix of oatmeal, flax meal, wheat germ, etc)

poppy seeds to preferred texture (I like lots)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix butter, apple sauce, eggs, sugar and flavorings together until well blended. In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients and milk in 3 additions beginning with flour and ending with milk. Stir until just blended. Add poppy seeds. Pour into 18 muffin cups. Bake for 15 minutes or until muffins are set and toothpick comes out clean. (Watch carefully! If they get over-done, they will be DRY!)

1 comment:

È